The new Iran
The Iran Democratic Union (IDU) works for a free and secular Iran that honors the individual rights of all its citizens.
IDU is commited to:
• An open and transparent secular democracy in Iran
• Equality for all Iranians, regardless of gender, ethnicity, religion or political views as decreed by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
• Preserving Iran's rich legacy of diverse cultures, languages and religions
• The responsible allocation of Iran's national resources and utilizing the skills and contributions of Iranian people, to create a thriving economy with constantly improving living standards
• An Iran that is a bona fide member of the community of nations with respect for internal law and sovereignty of all states
In pursuing our vision for freedom, we educate others about the human rights crisis in Iran in order to garner critical international support for our mission; we advocate for a secular government that is committed to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights; we support a firm but respectful separation between the government and religion. IDU is governed by a board of directors who have assumed specific responsibilities in advancing its mission statement.
The Iran Democratic Union (IDU) works for a free and democratic Iran that honors the human rights of its citizens. The projects we sponsor and/or fund serve the goal of promoting a free secular democracy and in supporting the Iranian people in regards to their human rights, open communications and in promoting honest government.
IDU pursues a two-prong approach to achieve its goals:
1) Funding and leading IDU sponsored projects;
2) Aiding third party likeminded organizations with funding and logistical support.
Examples of IDU-led projects will include, but are not limited to:
- International Communication – In its capacity as a leading pro-democracy advocacy group, IDU shall meet with political and business leaders around the world in order to garner their support for the cause of establishing a secular democracy in Iran. Also, IDU shall coordinate a consistent media message through our advisors and supporters about the conditions in Iran and the true nature and agenda of the regime.
- Unity Platform – IDU shall create a platform via the Internet and other means that will enable likeminded Iranian diaspora and other supporters to participate in pro-democracy and human rights activities.
- Iran Media Projects – All internal media and news sources in Iran are controlled by the government. IDU believes that the unfiltered distribution of domestic and international news to the Iranian populace is a vital ingredient in democratizing the country. As such, IDU will be producing Persian programming for radio, television and the Internet that represents an open discourse on politics, economics, international relations and social issues. We will also be developing the delivery mechanisms for this programming.
- Economic Responsibility Projects – IDU will actively encourage corporate responsibility by working with global corporations and investment funds to ensure that they are not enriching the current regime (e.g. monitor investments in Iran by corporations and pension funds). IDU will also track and expose the personal assets of government leaders.
- Refugee Support
- Human Rights